Sunday, September 09, 2012
Vacation Part IV: Weller Pond
N&A: The train ride from NYC to Essex, VT was 9 hours. This was long but pretty painless because we could move around as much as we wanted to, and we made friends with a couple of other kids, including Carly from Shelburne, with whom we played "hide the knome" and "hide and seek". We spent a day catching up with friends in Burlington and Winooski (Noah was amused to learn that Winooski means onion in Abenaki), barbecuing, flying model airplanes, and waiting out the rain. The next morning we headed out with Doris, Bernhard, and Thomas on the 13th annual Weller Pond canoe camping trip.
N: I was captain. I sat in the middle and made sure the motor (Mama) didn't slack off. I also pointed out turtles. Anna sat in front with Mama and ate grapes and pretzels. Papa sat in back and steered.
A: Here I am using my potty. I can say "potty", and I let Mama and Papa know when it's time to use it, though not always with enough advance warning and with some occasional false alarms. I used my potty in lots of places on this trip, including Penn Station, Battery Park, the train to Vermont, and the Chicago and Burlington airports. In other places where I made potty requests (such as NYC subway stations) I had to go ahead and use my diaper.
N: I was captain. I sat in the middle and made sure the motor (Mama) didn't slack off. I also pointed out turtles. Anna sat in front with Mama and ate grapes and pretzels. Papa sat in back and steered.
N&A: Doris and Bernhard and Thomas have done some iteration of this trip every year for the last 13 years! Bernhard and Thomas even built their own wooden canoes.
N&A: Here we are at the campsite (photo by Bernhard). Aside from the humans, there was a busy woodpecker, some cheeky chipmunks, spooky-sounding loons, and a couple of float planes.
A: Here I am using my potty. I can say "potty", and I let Mama and Papa know when it's time to use it, though not always with enough advance warning and with some occasional false alarms. I used my potty in lots of places on this trip, including Penn Station, Battery Park, the train to Vermont, and the Chicago and Burlington airports. In other places where I made potty requests (such as NYC subway stations) I had to go ahead and use my diaper.
A: This is me enjoying the water.